Oh, golly gee, an end-of-year wrap-up. How original!
Looking back at my goals for the year, things didn’t go all that well. So instead, I’ll focus on the positive.
Some accomplishments for the year:
- I learned to climb a rope. Not quite well enough to do it under muddy race conditions, but it’s a first time ever.
- I added bouldering to my workout mix. It’s not my main gig, but it’s a lot of fun and good for my mental state to do something cool and learn a new skill. It’s hard to gauge precisely its impact physically, but I think there’s some benefit.
- I did two Spartan Sprints, a Spartan Super, and a Badass Dash.
- At one of those, I successfully climbed a 6-foot wall unaided. It’s not the Big Wall that gives the site half its title, but it’s a start.
- I improved my 5K time by 15 seconds.
- I upped my longest running distance to about 7.5 miles.
- I was part of a team that completed a 200-mile running relay.
- After a year, the blog is still going fairly consistently. I’m still trying to figure out precisely what the site is and what I want it to be. Originally I intended it to be a pure comedy site, and I definitely still enjoy that—but I also like writing legitimate thoughts (and even approaching journalism on a couple occasions) and event reports and using it for more personal goal-setting-type stuff. The multi-billion-dollar book deal that was supposed to come out of the blog (all of my publishing experience tells me that’s how things are supposed to work) hasn’t happened yet, but it will.
- I’ve done some periodic contributions to a couple other sites, Obstacle Racing Media and Sportody.
- I’ve demonstrated, without a doubt, that isolation isn’t a good environment (I work at home, where I live alone, so…) and am taking steps to fix that, though they’re slower than I’d like.
I’m sure you’re deeply excited to know that I’ll be posting goals for 2016 tomorrow, but until then, don’t be stupid and drive if you get wasted at a New Year’s party tonight. And don’t kiss anything at midnight that has visible sores.